The details below are split into section headers so you can easily locate and review specific pieces of information. Specific details around the use of your data are also referenced at the point of collection – on our online registration forms and on the e-newsletter opt-in sections of our websites for maximum transparency.
Run 4 Wales Ltd is the data controller in regards to the events referenced above and is responsible for the use, processing and sharing of your personal information in relation to the fulfilment of your event entry or contacting you if you have opted-in to receive marketing communications.
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the Information Commissioner’s Office (the ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protections issues (www.ico.org.uk), if you are concerned your data is not being handled correctly. We would, however, appreciate the opportunity to deal with your concerns before approaching the ICO so please contact us in the first instance by telephoning 02921 660 790 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
You have the right to:
- Request details on the personal data Run 4 Wales Ltd hold on you, and the purpose for it being held (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to check that it is being lawfully processed. We aim to respond to any requests of this nature within one month. If a request is particularly complex, or you have made a number of requests, this may take longer – we will notify you if this is the case and keep you updated throughout the process.
- Request correction of the personal data that Run 4 Wales Ltd hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data held corrected, though this may need to be verified.
- Request your personal data be erased by Run 4 Wales Ltd, where you feel there is no good reason for Run 4 Wales Ltd to continue processing it. In some cases, it will not be possible to immediately erase personal information as this would lead to Run 4 Wales Ltd being unable to fulfil aspects of your entry into an event. For example – address details are required to enable us to deliver a race pack (containing items essential for on-the-day participation) to you ahead of the event.
- Withdraw consent at any time. However, this may lead to certain products or services being undelivered as we rely on processing your data to do so (for example, using your address data to post items essential for on-the-day-participation to you). We will advise you if this is the case at the time you request to withdraw your consent.
- Withdraw consent to receiving communications via e-mail. An ‘unsubscribe’ link is included in the footer of any communications you receive from Run 4 Wales Ltd via email, allowing you to do so. You can also request this by contacting us directly by calling 02921 660 790 or by emailing email@example.com. If you receive an email after withdrawing content via the unsubscribe link, please contact us to let us know.
DATA WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
- Personal information/identity data; including first name, last name, gender, date of birth, postage address, professional membership (i.e UK Athletics Affiliation) and emergency contact details. These are taken at the point of entry via registration form, in order to fulfil aspects of race entry. Some information (such as whether you have participated before, where you are from, occupation, age, gender) is taken and used to generate anonymised statistics about the types of people entering an event. When anonymised, this data is not considered as “personal data” by the law as it cannot be used to reveal your identity.
- Contact data; including billing address, postage address, email address and contact telephone number. When signing up for an event, these are taken to fulfil your race entry and to enable race organisers to get in touch with information or instructions about the event. If opting in to receive marketing communications, only name and e-mail address are stored for the purpose of sending marketing communications.
- Financial data; including bank account and payment card details, in order to take payment for a race registration – are held by our trusted registration software provider in case it is necessary to provide a refund.
- Transaction data; details around additional payments made to Run 4 Wales Ltd or third parties at the point of entry – such as official merchandise, transport, parking or personalised medal tabs. It is sometimes necessary to share this data with third parties to fulfil your additional purchase – for example, sending your name, t-shirt size and postage address to a third-party merchandise supplier so they can fulfil the order you have placed. Where participants indicate they would like to fundraise for an official charity or take up a space paid for by one of our official charities; Run 4 Wales Ltd will share the contact details of that participant with the beneficiary charity. This is made clear at the point of registration when selecting a beneficiary charity.
- Behavioural data; around customer behaviour on event websites and registration forms (collected via Google Analytics). This is anonymised data and is only used to monitor how customers behave in relation to activity on Run 4 Wales Ltd websites or registration forms – for example, where do they arrive on the registration form from – a link in an email, a post on social media, or a specific section of a website.
- We may collect information that includes “sensitive information” or “special categories” of personal data, such as: dietary requirements or medical conditions, including whether or not you are a wheelchair user. This is stored to help deliver a safe event experience, and so medical teams can access any necessary information if you are involved in an incident whilst participating. This will never be shared unnecessarily.
- Event staff data; we work with a number of temporary contractors/casual event staff/medical/health and safety professionals who are not permanently employed by Run 4 Wales Ltd. It is necessary to collect and process their personal information in order to pay wages and administer the use of their time, services and expertise.
HOW IS DATA COLLECTED?
A number of different methods are used to collect data from participants and subscribers, including:
- Via Run 4 Wales Ltd’s registration services provider who are used to take and administer event entries and payments.
- Via direct interactions; where a user may pass identity information via post, phone, email or otherwise whilst signing up to an event, opting in to marketing communications or providing feedback.
- Via our event websites; where users are able to opt-in for marketing communications or contact Run 4 Wales Ltd directly.
- Via Run 4 Wales Ltd’s Volunteer Management Software; used to collect and administer the information of individuals who volunteer at events.
- Via contact forms; feedback surveys or social media platforms, where individuals may interact with Run 4 Wales Ltd, enter a competition, promotion or survey.
- Via third parties; who share personal data with Run 4 Wales Ltd. For example, charity or corporate package holders who purchase spaces in our events may send us information on participants who have signed up to take part through their organisation – to enable Run 4 Wales Ltd to fulfil their entry and local authorities may share address information about homes or businesses that will be impacted by Run 4 Wales Ltd events, so they can be written to and notified about any potential inconvenience.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Run 4 Wales Ltd take the management and processing of personal data extremely seriously and will only use data where the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where you have explicitly consented to us doing so; for example – when you opt in to receive marketing communications from us via e-mail. We track e-mail opens so we’re able to see who has opened our communications. This is helpful when we receive queries from participants who are unsure if they have received information via email. If you would rather your email open activity was not tracked, please contact us by phone on 02921 660 790 or by email via firstname.lastname@example.org and we can disable this.
- Where it is necessary for Run 4 Wales Ltd legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your fundamental rights do not override those interests. A “Legitimate Interest” means the interest of a business in conducting and managing information in a way that enables them to give the best product/service, and the best and most secure experience. We consider and balance any potential impact on you and your rights before we process your personal data for our legitimate interests, and do not use personal data for activities where our legitimate interests are overridden by the impact on you.
- In order for Run 4 Wales Ltd to fulfil various aspects of your race entry purchase – such as posting you a race pack, sending you information about the event and generating finish time results categorised by age or gender.
- Where we need to comply with any legal or regulatory obligations.
- We do not explicitly request consent in order to process your data, when information is required to fulfil the event experience or race entry you have purchased. We do however, request this in relation to sending direct marketing communications. You have the right to withdraw consent to receiving marketing communications at any time by hitting the ‘unsubscribe’ link in the footer of any Run 4 Wales Ltd emails, or by contacting us by phone on 02921 660 790 or by email via email@example.com.
REASONS FOR USE OF DATA
Below you’ll find a brief overview of the reasons we collect personal data, the types of data we collect and how we collect and process it. If you would like any additional information on any of the points below, please contact Run 4 Wales Ltd by calling 02921 660 790 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To administer participation in any Run 4 Wales Ltd event – certain types of data are needed to allow you to participate and to allow us to stage the event. This data is kept in perpetuity for the purpose of historical research, generating anonymised participation data and to allow participants signing up to events in future to recall information from a previous registration. Participants may review or alter historic registration information by signing into their MyActive account (managed by ACTIVE Network LLC who manage our online registration platform) at myevents.active.com/run4wales. If you would like historic registration information erased, please contact us.
- To allow Run 4 Wales Ltd to publish the results and timings from our events. We need to work with our timing providers and athlete ranking databases to be able to store, rank and keep a historic log of results for the purpose of staging the event, awarding prizes and historical research. This data is held in perpetuity for the purposes mentioned. If you would rather your results are not listed publicly, contact Run 4 Wales Ltd by email at email@example.com of by calling 02921 660 790 and we can arrange for the result to be anonymised.
- To allow Run 4 Wales Ltd to send participants their results from an event – either via email or SMS (SMS will only be sent if the participant consents to this and provides a telephone number at the point of registration). If the participants performance in the event means they have been awarded a prize, Run 4 Wales Ltd may also contact them in regards to this.
- To allow Run 4 Wales Photography Partner to email participants post-event regarding the purchase of official photos from the event. If a participant would rather their photos are not publicised by the Photography Partner, they should contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02921 660 790, stating their name and the email address they used to sign up for the event.
- To allow third party athletic or membership bodies (such as UK Athletics and British Cycling) and affiliations to verify discounted event entries and populate ranking systems – (such as Power of 10).
- To allow beneficiary charities to contact participants, when they have indicated they are running for them or have taken a space in an event paid for by the charity. This is made clear at the point of registration when participants select a beneficiary charity. Should the participant no longer with to receive communications from the charity, they should contact that charity to let them know.
- To allow the media to contact a participant around a potential human-interest story, only when the participant has provided information at the point of registration (where it is made clear information should only be shared by the participant if they are happy for it to be passed onto the media).
- To enable Run 4 Wales Ltd to publicise its events. They may be televised, filmed or photographed and by participating you understand that your image may appear or be used by Run 4 Wales Ltd. Personal data (first name and surname) will be shared with broadcasters to enable them to commentate on an event.
- To enable individuals to volunteer at a Run 4 Wales Ltd event. We need contact details, plus any medical or emergency contact details to enable our volunteers to safely be involved with our events. We erase information on volunteers when they have not contacted or responded to us in 3 years. Holding their information for 3 years allow us to contact them about future opportunities and if they are reoccurring volunteers, means they do not have to re-register all of their information. If you would like your data erased please email email@example.com or call 02921 660 790.
- To enable Run 4 Wales Ltd to contact members of the public or businesses affected by the disruption or road closures created by the events we organise.
MARKETING MESSAGES & OPT-INS
We send regular newsletters via e-mail to participants who have participated in past or current events, pre-registered for a future event or subscribed to receive updates on a particular event or Run 4 Wales Ltd. We aim to make the process of opting in to receive e-newsletters as transparent as possible – either via our event website or online registration forms. Newsletters contain information on our events or partners, but we will never share your data with a third party outside of Run 4 Wales Ltd for marketing purposes unless the participant has consented to this and it has been explicitly stated at the point of collection.
We track e-mail opens so we’re able to see who has opened our communications. This is helpful when we receive queries from participants who are unsure if they have received information via email. If you would rather your email open activity was not tracked, please let us know.
You can withdraw consent at any time, by hitting the ‘unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of any Run 4 Wales Ltd email or by contacting us by calling 02921 660 790 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We may collect and process the personal data of children (below the age of 18) for the purpose of publishing results, publicising an event of administering entries into Family Fun Run events organised by Run 4 Wales Ltd. Our registration software only allows those over 18 to create an account and register, so parental consent is required for any person under the age of 18 to participate. Information taken is simply used to fulfil aspects of the race entry such as posting a race pack prior to the event or preparing one for collection.
- Run 4 Wales Ltd have put in place, appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data being accidentally lost, used, disclosed or accessed in an unauthorised way. Access it limited to the employees, contractors or third parties who have a need to use it. We ensure that any third parties we work with our data protection compliant and encrypt data before sharing it with them.
- Run 4 Wales Ltd have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you or the applicable regulator if this occurs.
- We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purpose of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
- By law we have to keep basic information about our customers (including Contact Data, Identity Data, Financial Data and Transaction Data) for six years after they cease being customers for tax purposes, and for the requirements of insurers (if a participant attempts to make a claim against Run 4 Wales Ltd in relation to an event, we need to be able to recall whether or not you participated, and details of your participation to satisfy our insurers). Data is not processed further in that period.
- In some circumstances We may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case Run 4 Wales Ltd may use this information in perpetuity.
Participants may review or alter historic registration information by signing into their MyActive account (managed by ACTIVE Network LLC who manage our online registration platform) at www.myevents.active.com/run4wales. If you would like historic registration information erased, please contact us.
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, We may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, We may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
TRANSFERRING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION INTERNATIONALLY
To fulfil certain aspects of your race experience we work with third parties who may process your data in countries outside of the UK and the European Union – such as our registration software provider and photography partner.
Some of these jurisdictions require different levels of protection in respect of personal information and, in certain instances, the laws in those countries may be less protective than the jurisdiction you are typically resident in. We take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is only used in accordance with this privacy notice and applicable data protection laws and is respected and kept secure. Where a third party processes your data on our behalf we will put in place appropriate safeguards as required under data protection laws. For further details please contact us by email at email@example.com or by calling 02921 660 790.
A cookie is a small text file passed to a computer’s hard disk through a web browser so the website remembers who you are when you return.
It also tracks statistics such as how you arrived at the site, your time of arrival, the pages that you looked at and how long you stayed on the website.
The information helps Run 4 Wales Ltd to improve its websites and is anonymous and not potentially identifiable. It does not contain your name, address, telephone number of e-mail address. To find out more about cookies, and how you can disable them please visit www.allaboutcookies.org.