Omar Ahmed smashed the course record while Sonia Samuels set a new season’s best to storm to victories at the 2021 Brecon Carreg Cardiff Bay Run.
The event, which incorporated the Welsh 10K Championships and marked the beginning of the Healthspan Wales 10K Series, was the largest mass-participation running event in Wales since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.
Birchfield Harriers’ Ahmed took the men’s title in style by knocking 25 seconds off Dewi Griffiths’ previous best over the distance. The Ethiopian raced through 5 kilometres in just 14:05 before streaking way from club mate Kadar Omar to finish in a season’s best time of 28:42. The time was just three seconds off the personal best he set in Telford two years ago.
Fellow Birchfield Harrier Omar took silver in 29:13 ahead of Newport Harriers’ Abed Teweldebrhan (30:06), who finished third but was crowned Welsh 10K champion
Cardiff’s Dan Nash slashed 14 seconds off his PB to finish fourth in the open race and second in the Welsh Championships in a time of 30:08, beating former course record holder Griffiths by nine seconds. Pontypridd Roadent Daniel Hamilton (30:55) also set a new best as he dipped under 31 minutes.
Samuels blitzed the field to take the women’s title in a season’s best 34:37, almost a minute clear of Les Croupiers runner and new Welsh champion Alaw Beynon-Thomas (35:43), who set a new season’s best en route to taking Welsh honours.
Builth and District runner Donna Morris (36:30) finished third in the main race and second in the Welsh championships ahead of Cardiff AAC’s Carys Hughes, who competed the Welsh podium in a time of 37:32.
In the wheelchair event, serial winner Richie Powell (28:40) added another gold to his collection, beating out Ron Price (34:54) and Les Hamilton (38:23) to take the victory.
- Omar Ahmed (Birchfield Harriers) 28:42
- Kadar Omar (Birchfield Harriers) 29:13
- Abed Teweldebrhan (Newport Harriers) 30:06
- Dan Nash (Cardiff AAC) 30:08
- Dewi Griffiths (Swansea Harriers) 30:18
- Sonia Samuels (Sale Harriers) 34:37
- Alaw Beynon-Thomas (Les Croupiers) 35:42
- Donna Morris (Builth and District Running Club) 36:29
- Carys Hughes (Cardiff AAC) 37:31
- Ruby Orchard (P.B RC) 38:13
- Richie Powell (Disability Sport Wales) 28:40
- Ron Price 34:54
- Les Hampton (Cheltenham and County Harriers) 38:23